Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Step In The Right Direction


If you happen to read my update from a few days ago you know that I came down with a bad virus last Friday and was unable to attend tryouts. This was very, very hard for me as I had worked my hardest all summer to be ready for this week. I felt like my dream had been taken away from me. I had assumed that if I did not attend tryouts that there was no way I could make a team. My parents tried to get me to write an email to the coach but I did not feel well at the time so I told them no. later that night I couldn’t sleep and was up on Twitter, Yay for social media!, someone encouraged me to send an email, so in the morning I asked my parents to write an email. I expected to get a response saying that there was nothing that could be done but yesterday I got good news. The coached emailed me back and said I was not the only one in this position and that she would be willing to let me try out on a few different teams. Wow, was I happy! During this I also got a call back from the doctor. She said everything on my blood test looked normal except for the fact that I am extremely vitamin D deficient. I am now on a supplement for this which I have to take once a week and then go back to the doctor in two months for a checkup. One symptom of this is bone and muscle pain. I get this in my upper arms, legs, hips and calves. Hopefully this will go away soon though as it won’t be very easy to play soccer like this. ANA testing was also done to check for Lupus, a disease my mom has since she was 18. That came back for the most part normal. The average numbers for kids my age is 6 and mine was 38. Although it does have to be somewhere around 300 to be declared Lupus so I’ll have that checked regularly from now on. Today I also started to feel a lot better from the virus I’ve had for a week now so I seem to be improving.  

Once again things have seemed to work themselves out! I expect to be on JV2 again this year mainly because of my fitness right now also knowing that if you perform well you can be moved up teams. While it is a team for mostly freshman and sophomore, if I can make it I won’t be the only junior. Once I see where I am and am on a team, hopefully sometime next week, I look forward to being a leader on the team because of the fact that I will be one of the oldest. I also look forward to just playing the game again. Today was the last day of tryouts and I wanted so bad to be out there playing, that’s all I could think about! Hopefully come Monday I will be back playing soccer.  See, I told you I would find a way to keep playing the beautiful game. J              
- Never Give Up   

3 comments:

  1. Hi Haley,

    You sound like a fighter--and your story is truly inspirational! Have you checked out the Cerebral Palsy Family Network site in the past? I know that they're looking for writers/contributors, and I'm sure sharing your story would definitely inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just checked out the website and it looks cool! I am always willing to share my story with others :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a chance to check out the Cerebral Palsy Family Network site Haley and am interested in sharing your story with them. You can contact them by e-mail at cpfamilyblog@gmail.com for further instructions. Good luck, and I definitely plan to keep on reading your blog in the future!

    ReplyDelete