Saturday, September 1, 2012

2012 Season: Week 1


First week of practice has come to an end. I really still can’t believe I’m playing soccer again. 10 months of ups and downs, 10 months since I last kicked a ball on a team competitively and I’m finally able to do it again. Wow. What I surreal feeling this is. I haven’t felt this happy in over a year, really. And to think one week ago and I thought I would never play soccer for my high school ever again… J

Monday I showed up to practice only knowing three returning players and one other Junior. As a returning player to the team I knew what to expect somewhat but didn’t know most of the players or the coach. While still getting over the virus I knew I had to impress the coach as I was not at tryouts, so I just did what I knew how to do. After the mess the team was in last year (we only won 3 games) I was hoping for a good team and coach. That so far seems to be the case. The quality of players on the team is a lot better than last year and players seem like they care about the game. The one thing I am most grateful for is the fact that this is the first team I’ve ever played on that I feel like I’m not left out or ignored. Everybody seems to like each other. If I know anything by the end of the first week of practices it’s that we are definitely going to win more than three games this season! At the end of practice on Monday I was given a jersey, so yes that means I’m officially part of the team. The other thing I did after practice was something I’ve always dreaded doing, telling the coach about my CP. I’ve never done this without the help of my parents but I’ve matured a bit since the last time I’ve had to deal with this so I decided to tell my coach that I had a physical disability but it is mild so it doesn’t affect that much but that I do have some limitations. To my surprise he told that the head coach of the program had sent him an email explaining my condition. Wow! I know that doesn’t seem like a hard thing to do but it means so much to me. They actually care about my needs as a player and personJ. I went on to tell him that I will most likely play best as a forward because I struggle with speed in defense and tire easier in midfield. Communication definitely won’t be a problem with this coach!

As the week went on it did get harder dealing with fatigue and extremely sore muscles. Right now I’m probably the least fit on the team from getting over being sick last week and also fatigue from the mono. After all it has been at least 10 months since I’ve done this kind of activity. But I kept going and I actually think I did pretty well with scrimmaging and passing/possession drills. Since I began playing soccer at the age of four I’ve always had coaches tell me I have extremely good vision on the field. For some reason I never actually believe this. I always thought they just said that to make up for other things I lacked on the field. But one night after practice I was walking to my car when my coach called me over to help the one thing I’ve always been told, I have great vision on the field. He did tell me that I should try to work on my one touch passes but that made me smile and give me confidence. I'm finally starting to believe it’s true, and it only took me 12 years! The coach also told the team that they are looking to move at least two players up to JV each week. As one of the the oldest on the team this is a goal of mine during this season. Right now I’m a bit far off from that because I’m probably the least fit on the team but I do know that if I work as much as I want it, then maybe there is a possibility of that.

As far as my schedule it’s definitely going to a hard one. I go back to school this Wednesday. As much as I love soccer, school is the absolute number one priority for me at this point. Last year due to mono I missed more than a month of school. I did end up passing my classes but it sure was tough. As a Junior I need to get my GPA back in the 3.5 range, what it was my freshman year, and start thinking about college. I made the mistake last year by not taking school seriously during soccer season. College is the one thing I want in my future, whether community or university. I have matured enough to know what’s most important and I have to work hard to get what I want. Soccer season will take up most of the week. Monday and Wednesday games, Tuesday and Thursday practices and either a game or personal training session on Friday. I am confident that I can find a balance between soccer and school if I can do my best to stay healthy throughout the season.

With CP comes balance and coordination problems. While mine are only mild, it does affect me on the soccer field. This is why I decided to get a personal trainer to help me with this. I’ve only been working with him for three weeks and have already seen a major improvement with my balance. This is something I plan on doing at least once a week over the course of the season. I also know I have to work extra hard to get my fitness up on my own if I have any chance of getting called up to JV.

Right now I’m just blessed that I get the chance to play for my high school. There was a lot for information I was given and many more things I could talk about but I’m going to do my best to update once a week on my progress throughout the season. We got the weekend off from training to enjoy the end of summer and get ready for school. I'm doing my best to get some rest and be as ready as possible for whatever comes in the week ahead!  

-Never Give Up

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment