Friday, July 27, 2012

Who knew making a Junior Varsity soccer team would be so dang hard?


I write this blog to tell about my journey of playing high school soccer with a cerebral palsy and I feel like I wouldn’t be telling the whole journey if I didn’t tell everything that is currently happening. A few days ago I wrote a post and it seemed as if things were going pretty good but it always feels like when I have good news, the next time around I experience a setback. Last night I got an email from the coach explaining that there is going to be a very high number of girls trying out and therefor there will be player cut from rosters. I never expected to be guaranteed a place on any team but as the policy has been that no players get cut in past years this dream of mine to play on a high school soccer team is going to be a lot harder than I expected. I was hoping that because of the no cut policy I would be able to make a team and then try to establish a relationship with my coach so that I could make a plan to become as fit as possible and try to figure out what my role would be on the team.

There are going to be about 60-70 girls trying out and only about 50 roster spots. Realistically looking at my fitness I am the perfect player to get cut. Being a junior and this being only my second year in the program that’s not in my favor, also my abilities as a player hinder me. I’ve got skill from playing so many years but my ability to run fast and turn fast is lessened because of my disability. In my perfect world fitness and ability would not be what makes the final decision. It would be my determination, love and knowledge for the beautiful game. I know I’d be lucky if maybe a hundred people have come across my blog and read it and know my story. It would be awesome if that one kid with a disability read my blog and got inspired to play sports or even just fulfill a dream they thought they would never accomplish. As for my love for the game and knowledge I can tell I probably know more about the game of soccer and love it more than half the people who are going to try out. Sometimes I think I’m crazy wanting this dream and that of course there are better players out there that deserve a roster spot but this dream of mine means more to me that another thing in the world right now.    

At my school I know of about 8 other kids who have Cerebral Palsy and not one of them plays sports. The only person who I saw with disability who played sports was a senior last year who was in a wheelchair and participated in track. I know there aren’t very many kids out there with a disability who play sports at a high school level but I’m proud to say I a one of them. But sometimes I feel alone too. I’ve never seen or heard of another high school soccer player with CP but I know there out there somewhere. I feel as if I need to each people that people with disabilities aren’t just meant for the sidelines and I think my blog helps me do this but somehow I need to speak up and let the coaches know that. I also recently discovered the U.S deaf National soccer teams and when looking at the website I found the name of one of the many coaches I had last season. She had been a former member of the team. I also came across an article about her when she was playing in college. She had talked about how being deaf wasn’t really a disability for her. I myself hate the word disability but still use it because I don’t think people would understand my usage of being “different” or having “obstacles”. I almost never think of myself having a disability because that would be just plain weird if I woke up each day telling myself I had a disability! She was the coach who was there when I scored my one goal last season and gave me high praise after the game that day. I will never forget that.

At this point all I can hope for is that things will work themselves out while remembering to never give up on my dreams. One of my best friends who is also trying out asked me this morning if I was still going to try out and I said absolutely! Ive got nothing to lose. I really hope I can help her because I know she wants the same dream as me. I think if she sees me not giving up, she won’t either.  Whatever happens in the end, if I make it or not, I will still be playing soccer. Ive never been able to play at the level I really want. Last year on JV2 no one cared about what they were doing and it was hard because of the fact that I care about the game so much. Looking back at all this I can take positives from this not matter what. I learned a lot about myself as a person. Something within me as never let me give up on my dream and I’ve become a stronger person because of it. I also see other people, like my friend who aren’t willing to give up because I tell them if I can do it, then do definitely can too. Looking back at all my great summers I've had I will remember the summer I went to Disneyland, the summer I went to New York and the summer I went to Hawaii. But this summer I hope to look back and remember this one as the summer I never gave up.

Hoping for GOOD news to come soon J

-Never Give Up 

No comments:

Post a Comment