Monday, July 23, 2012

Every Day Is A New Day, But Never Promised

A few days after my dad had his heart attack I remember it had snowed and our heat was turned off because my mom had forgotten to pay the bill. I had promised myself that wasn’t going to cry about anything after he had his heart attack and I was doing great up to that point but then I all the sudden broke down and started to cry. (Yes I cried over the fact that it was 30 degrees in my house). It seemed as if everything possible was going wrong in my life.  The one thing I remember my mom telling me was that one day we will look back at this at hopefully laugh at it. Four months later and I can help not laughing at it, or many of the difficult things I’ve been through in the past 12 months of my life.  Shortly after my last soccer season had ended when I was dealing with severe headaches I would get up each morning dreading going to school because of the pain and obstacles they brought trying to learn. I felt like I was going crazy and was starting to give up hope but yet somehow each and every day I would get up and live my life through the struggles it gave me. Every day’s a new day: that’s one of the most important life lesson I’ve ever learned. Such a simple thing. Looking back it seems so crazy that somehow I made it through some of the things I did but I always kept hope that tomorrow would be a better day and everyday seemed to come with a new beginning.
I haven’t updated in a while because I’ve been pretty busy.  I’ve had days were I feel great and just enjoy being a 16 year old and some days that are tough. I can’t fully seem to get fully over the fatigue from the mono. Sleeping has become my second favorite thing to do besides soccer. It’s frustrating but something I know I can’t control. Getting upset over the fact that I got mono in the first place hasn’t done me any good so I learned just to let it go. I do feel like I have improved a little bit although much of my training has stopped over the past few weeks because I feel like I’m over doing it.  Over the past few months I‘ve been thinking about who I am as a person and how to get through the tough times.  This has helped me tremendously. When I have hard day I only tell myself two things, tomorrow is a new day and to never give up on my dreams.
I’ve also learned to stop worrying about everything knowing that things eventually do work themselves out one way or another. I don’t worry about the fact that there’s going to be 60 other girls who want the same thing as me. I don’t worry about if the coaches will ever understand my disability. I don’t worry about what people or players think of me with my disability and I don’t worry If I’m going to make the team I want. I have a friend who is also trying out for the team and she has asked me more than once if we’re going make it. Not once have I ever told myself no. (My motto is Never Give Up after all!) I got an email from the coach last night about a two week conditioning camp before try outs. It’s not a requirement but most players will attend. At this point I’m not fully sure if this is a realistic thing for me. I still do need to try to get in touch with the head coach and I’m hoping something can be worked out so I can get a trainer at the gym my family works out at and do my conditioning there. I know as a soccer player you have to be extremely fit and this has been a huge struggle for me but I’m never giving up hope that one day I will run 2-6 miles and not get tired!
Right now my biggest dream in life is to make my high school’s junior varsity soccer team. This dream may seem silly to some but it’s my dream and I have worked hard for it. My next dream will probably be to get into college then to coach soccer. I’m also very thankful that I can have these dreams. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if my Cerebral Palsy had been any more severe. It means everything to me that I have the ability to simply kick a ball. If I didn’t have that I honestly do not know what I would be doing. I’ve become more thankful for life and the people I love like my dad who is alive and healthy.    
The past 12 months of my life have completely changed me as a person. My freshman year I was a 14 year old who wasn’t truly thankful for anything that was in my life and when I had bad days nothing was ever going to get better. It’s kind of weird saying this but I’m actually kind of glad I’ve gone through some of the things I have in the past year of my life!
Hopefully I will update soon with some more progress! J
-Never Give Up.         

No comments:

Post a Comment