Wednesday, May 16, 2012

So, what exactly is Cerebral Palsy?


The whole reason I started this blog was, of course, to share with other people what it’s like to play soccer with cerebral palsy.  But the one question I am always asked is “What exactly is cerebral palsy?” I know I lot of adults who think they know what it is but then just end up looking like idiots when trying to explain it, and even at times I fail at explaining it. Usually when a person asks I just say I injured myself during practice or when it comes to people asking at school, I just compare it to other kids with Cerebral Palsy and say I have a mild form of what they have.  I highly doubt any teammates or coaches of mine have or will ever read any of my blog, but if they were ever to read it, this is definitely the one post I would want them to read, just simply so they would understand why I’m the way I am in practice and matches.

So, what exactly is Cerebral Palsy?  

Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a condition that impairs the motor control that affects the muscles caused by brain damage in infancy. There are four major types of CP. I have mild Spastic left Hemiplegia, meaning the whole left side of my body is affected.  My case is very mild but, this makes my muscles weak and stiff, underdeveloped and I have little function of parts of my left side (my left hand is more affected than my left foot, I have very little function of my hand) I have minor balance problems and small limp. It also causes me some minor paralysis like feeling in my toes and left side of my face.

What causes CP?

Doctors aren’t completely sure of all the causes but some causes are:

·         Prematurity

·         Lack of oxygen at birth

·         Fetal stroke

·         Brain injury up to about age 3 or so.

For me I was born 6 week early and when I was four days old doctors discovered I had suffered a brain bleed (stroke) approximately two weeks before birth. Being diagnosed so early no one knew how I was going to be affected or how severe it was until I started to miss millstones like crawling and walking.

How does it affect me on the pitch?

I consider myself extremely lucky, I’m not in a wheelchair or walker, I can talk and I’ve never had a surgery in my life. I also have the ability to do my passion, play soccer.  As far as my restrictions on the field, there aren’t too many actually. The main thing I can’t do is run fast, never have and never will be able too due to the damage to my muscles, I often come in last on running drills in practice and that’s usually when coaches figure there’s something wrong with me. I also tire faster than able bodied players, I can play 70-80 minutes as a striker but when you put me in the midfield I need a substitution to be at my best. I’m more injury prone due to my weak muscles and having to use the right side of my body more than the left, often I’m able to play threw the injuries because of how many I’ve had!  In practice there’s nothing I really can’t do, I’m expected to do everything everyone else does, some stretches are harder but I can complete all drills, sometimes with minor accommodations. When I start limping or keeping my hand fisted is usually when teammates notice my disability. I have notice at times teammates can get frustrated with me when I’m slower (not only on the field, but in the locker room too.J).  During a game, despite my lack of speed, I can pass and shoot a ball just fine.  The only thing I can’t do on the field are throw ins. (but I never do them because I’m not a DefenderJ) I’ve also notice that because my left arm can’t move very fast, when the ball comes anywhere near it, I sometimes get called for hand balls! The one thing I would LOVE is for my coaches to understand what Cerebral Palsy is, and while it is a disability that affects me in some ways, I have the ability to play like anybody else with hard work!  

One last note:  I finally got to kick a ball for the first time since Mono and my knee injury a few days ago! It was only for about an hour and 45 minutes just kicking the ball, no conditioning, but it sure felt good! Some pictures below.                            

      

No comments:

Post a Comment