Friday, February 10, 2012

“I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do.”

“I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do.”

During my wellness class today our teacher asked us all what was one regret we have had. I did not share what I really wanted to therefor I now have two regrets…

What I really wanted to share truly takes a lot of guts and it something that I’ve wanted to share for a very long time. Some of you have probably seen me walk with a limp in the halls at school and that is because I have a disability called Cerebral Palsy. It was caused by brain damage which was discovered when I was only a few days old. It affects the left side of my body and affects my coordination, muscle tone and makes it very hard to use my left hand properly. I regret not telling more people about this because of the fact that I was bullied in middle school and people never got the chance to really know me. People always asked what was wrong with my hand and I would always say it was nothing or people asked why I walked with a limp I would always just say I hurt it in soccer practice. Not many people other than my family knew about this but I have decided to tell you this so you don’t ever just have to wonder what’s different about me. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I am very passionate about soccer and in the past I know for a fact my teammates have always noticed that run slower and look different when I run but I’d like to thank those who never gave up on me (especially the Hotspurs :) ) and always supported me. You have also probably noticed that I don’t say much in class because I’m pretty shy, partially because of my disability and while always be that shy person who never really says much at all I’m no longer afraid of my disability and what others think about me, and again can always ask questions if you’re curious, I’d be happy to answer!. I’d also like to thank my family and friends who have always been there for me and gotten me to a point where I’m ok to talk about my disability with others and not let my disability bring me down. :)

oh look, I have one less regret now! :)"-


That was a Facebook status of mine a few days ago. I was getting tired of people not truly knowing who I was so with all the guts I had I took time to write the status. However I did not know the impact it would have on my friends and none the less, me. With 35 likes and 20 comments I was overcome with emotion when I saw this. Every person who commented told me how brave I was and how the will always have my back no matter what, many of them former and current teammates of mine and some of them people who I didn’t even knew me that well. This moved me so much that that night I even had a few tears in my eyes that night. While I joked with my friends the next day that I didn't even now 35 people knew I existed having people that support me is what gives me strength and keeps my passion for the game of soccer going. It reminds me every day that even though I may have obstacles to overcome because of my disability there’s always a way to overcome them and achieve my goals and dreams.  I just wanted to share this because I know there are many people in my life that have done so much for me and I greatly appreciate every little bit of it!! :)
my favorite comments from the post on Facebook-
John S. Woolley The Hotspurs were great on many levels (OK, not so many levels), but this is the part of which I am most proud!- My former youth soccer coach :)
Bruce Wilson That's my daughter, lots of guts, can do anything she sets her mind to, and one of the strongest people I know. Hotspurs were unstoppable- My Daddy :) 
 
Me playing with me club soccer team, the Hotspurs, two years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment